Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Already in the Principal's Office

I was in the Principal's office, not Keri. I was going to write a long post ranting about what happened to Keri at school last week, but I think I will just give the short version. I have had time to calm down, and the situation has gotten much better. :)

Keri's teacher called me last Friday during her conference period to tell me that Keri had a rough morning. While they were waiting to go to class, another little boy said some horrible things to her. The things he said were very disturbing and really upset Keri. Thankfully, a couple of adults witnessed the conversation and the little boy was sent to the office. All this happened before school started while they were waiting in line in the gym.

Of course, I left work early and went straight to the Principal's office. I needed to make sure this would NEVER happen again. I actually felt bad for the little boy; he never should have even known about the things he was saying to my daughter. I knew that it probably wasn't even his fault. I was afraid that his parents would not take the situation seriously and that this would happen again...not just to Keri, but another child. The principal assured me that the situation would be handled and we were hopeful. She wrote an office referral, called his parents, and the little boy was already in the counselor's office.

When Keri came home from school on Monday, she told me that the little boy came up to her that morning with his Daddy and told her that he was sorry. Praise the Lord! I was so relieved to know that his parents knew what he did was wrong and made sure he apologized. On Tuesday, the principal had duty in the car-rider line and put Keri in the car. She told me that she felt confident that the situation was under control. The little boy's mother had been in her office and they were communicating over the phone as well. Another sigh of relief!

I knew that putting my child in school would be hard, but I certainly wasn't prepared for this! I have seen and experienced many unique situations being a teacher and knew that eventually something would happen. It is so different when you are the parent. When someone hurts or is mean to my baby (yes, she is still my baby) my mama bear instincts kick in. My rationale is definitely different in "mama" mode. Overall, I am pleased with how the situation was handled and feel much better now.

Keri? She was over it last Friday. She has such a forgiving heart and I am so proud of her. I love my sweet little girl so much!

And that my friends, is the short version! :)

No comments: